Thursday 4 October 2012

A great time at Oakridge junior public school


Is there someone here who is too big for school?

With the help of a six-foot-six bear, I met nearly 200 students at Oakridge, a junior public school in Scarborough.
We had a great time at the invitation of Ms. Papanastasiou who is doing her best to help students continue their reading despite the temporary loss of the school's library due to flooding.
My friend Carlton agrees: we have never seen more enthuastic, engaged students than the Oakridge bunch. We had two sessions in the gymnasium and Carlton was overrun by new friends.
Amidst all the excitement, two thumbs up from the bear.

We talked about integrity, doing a job well and how good writing requires a strong desire to make a good impression. I also showed the kids the storyboard we used for my book M is For Maple to illustrate the need to plan.

I have the greatest job in the world because I get to meet fantastic and eager learners such as the Grade 4s and 5s at Oakridge.




My employer, MLSE, places great value on making a difference in our community. Every employee is given three paid days to work for the benefit of others. 
If you think a teacher, librarian or principal you know would appreciate a visit from me, please forward this blog. There is no charge.
Let's Go Canada.

Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment